Wednesday, September 5, 2007

July 25 Ms Wheelchair America Pageant

This was the day the interviews began and believe it or not I was very relaxed right before the interviews and after the interviews. When I rolled into the elevator that morning I met up with two of the Ms Wheelchair America judges. Both of the judges were wearing Ms Wheelchair badges and at that moment I realized that they were the judges and I said "Oh my God you’re the judges and they laughed" I didn't know at the time but they were husband and wife and they were judging the pageant and Matt the husband was the head judge and Tracey his wife was also a judge. When I rolled into the first interview I saw Denise who was the hostess the night I arrived was I shocked! I said “Denise” and she just smiled. Denise was so comforting to me the night that I arrived and I was so excited that I don't even remember what I said to her. Gosh, I hope I didn't show my silliness to her. One of the judges was Jill Caruso she had the most striking eyes I had ever seen. I learned later that day her 13 year old son had a crush on Ms Texas. Tracy Charlton O'Connor was one of the judges she came over to me, Alana Wallace and Ms Texas that evening to let us know that Jill's son had a crush on Ms Texas. How cute was that we even encouraged Ms Texas to dance with Jill's son that evening during Fifties Night. Ms Texas is Jackie Bartels she was injured from a fall at a young age and received a spinal cord injury. She is another courageous woman that grew up with her disability. Jackie played
wheelchair tennis and received a scholarship to further her education.

During the interviews all the contestants appeared at the Dreams of Trade Show this consisted of a brochures of the Ti-lite chairs (I own a Ti-lite which is a great wheelchair) and the showing of costume jewelry that Ms Arkansas purchased for the night of the crowning. Ms Arkansas is the sweetest young lady I had met at the pageant. She was always with me before I entered the interview and after I exited an interview. Ms Arkansas is Jennifer Biggers and she was born with Spinal Bifida and grew up with her disability and she is truly an inspiration. She offered great peer support and provided encouragement during the interviews throughout the week.

No comments: